A Summary of our submitted Plan to HUD for Hillcrest & the Southside:
- Target Public Housing Project: Hillcrest
- Target Neighborhood: Southside
- Choice Neighborhoods Award: $200,000 to be used for revitalization planning
The Housing Authority of Wilmington, NC, has partnered with its Planning Coordinators, TCG International and Urban Collage, to develop a Transformation Plan targeting the Southside section ofWilmington, which includes the Hillcrest Housing Development.
Through the Choice Neighborhoods Transformation Plan, the Housing Authority and its partners will capitalize on the already existing Southside Small-Area Plan, a land-use development initiative focused on bringing quality economic development to the underserved neighborhood. In addition, the City’s new Urban Mixed-Use District should serve Choice Neighborhoods well.
The Wilmington Housing Authority (WHA) also plans to increase community involvement with local schools, identify and address shortfalls in community amenities such as parks and sidewalks, tap into existing relationships with local foundations, establish linkages in other government funding opportunities, and create a framework of planning and engagement committees to achieve a vision that serves the entire community.
- Choice Neighborhoods Grant Award winners can receive up to $31M towards their Transformation Plan and rebuilding/revitalization effort.
These grants transform distressed neighborhoods and public and assisted communities into viable and sustainable mixed-income neighborhoods by linking housing improvements with appropriate services, schools, public assets, transportation, and access to jobs. A strong emphasis is placed on local community planning for access to high-quality educational opportunities, including early childhood education. Choice Neighborhoods will provide support for the preservation and rehabilitation of public and HUD-assisted housing, within the context of a broader approach to concentrated poverty.
- WHA Choice Neighborhoods here in Wilmington will encompass the rebuilding of the Hillcrest Public Housing Community located at 14th &Dawson St. and the revitalization of the SouthSide area ofWilmington. We recently completed our needs assessment and asset mapping phase of the project, as well as an Economic Development report for the area. In addition, we are surveying each and every household at Hillcrest, with plans for a similar survey in the extended neighborhood. Currently (May, 2012), we are expanding our Community Outreach with Focus Groups in nine areas of concern to residents and neighbors of the Southside. All of this growing information and collected data, combined with our strong and committed community partners, are vital as we continually develop our Transformation Plan that will be the initial blueprint of rebuilding and revitalizing the SouthSide.
- Timeline: We hope to submit the Transformation Plan for Choice Neighborhoods in the Fall, 2012, with an expected announcement by Spring, 2013. With a little luck, we could start the rebuilding and revitalization process in the Fall, 2013.
Please remember these dates are subject to change and there is no guarantee that we will receive any funds from HUD. But with your help and community partnership, we stand a better chance of submitting a complete & winning Transformation Plan.
- Meeting … Come to a SouthSide Neighborhood Association Meeting. Hear an update on Choice Neighborhoods and discuss your concerns and suggestions for the SouthSide. Check the Facebook page for more information
- Learn more … www.hud.gov/cn (for more information on Choice Neighborhoods)